One Church, One Message, Many Expressions
PORTICO's MINISTRY OVERVIEW
PORTICO Community Church is a Christian church, incorporated as a registered Canadian not-for-profit charity, affilliated with the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada (PAOC), serving the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) with campuses located in Mississauga and Milton.
PORTICO's Senior Pastor, elected by the official members, reports to the Board of Elders on vision, direction, ministry and church operations. The Senior Pastor is empowered and monitored through policy governance for the hiring, management and care of all ministry staff and for the oversight of ministries, facilities and operational matters.
PORTICO's MINISTRY OBJECTIVES
PORTICO Community Church is passionately committed to its mission, vision and core values as defined below:
"Helping people find their way back to God."
"One Church, One Message, Many Expressions."
PORTICO's CORE VALUES
"CONNECT with Christ and His Family."
"GROW together in Christ likeness."
"SERVE Christ's mission in the world."
Reporting to the Director of Administration, the role of the Accounting Associate is as much a ministry as a job. This position is accountable for the effective and efficient operation of the accounting systems and requires the individual to be able to work harmoniously and generally in good relationship with all of the pastoral staff, the administrative support team, the facilities manager and facilities staff, and the congregation.
This position is responsible for financial analysis, capital accounting, payroll and Canada Revenue Agency compliance. This includes developing and managing internal control and reporting policies and guidelines and procedures for budget control and administration, analyzing past, present and expected financial details to identify areas of improvement; ensuring that the financial reporting systems and processes are in compliance with Canadian laws and regulations and in compliance with PORTICO’s policies, vision and objectives.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABLITY
Financial Oversight and Accounting
- Monitor the cash position of PORTICO Community Church.
- Manage monthly bank and petty cash reconciliations.
- Complete applications for supplies and vendors and maintain accurate and complete reporting by establishing effective accounting systems and procedures.
- Manage effectiving purchasing, payment of invoices, and expense reporting.
- Manage bank transactions wire transfers and keeping track of signing authorities.
- Process the accurate recording of financial transactions in the general ledger for financial reporting purposes.
- Responsible for the collection, preparation and interpretation of accounting/financial data, bank reconciliation and other financial performance information.
- Responsible for the timely clearing of donation received on a weekly basis, making payments to the PORTICO vendors and carrying out all aspect of payroll services.
- Ensure all appropriate internal controls are in place to achieve complete and accurate processing and reporting of cash movement.
- Reconcile recorded data inconsistencies and errors.
- Prepare timely reports on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and/or year-end basis for accounting and/or management information purposes.
- Provide analysis/explanation for variances and trends in reporting figures.
- Facilitate in annual budget preparation and budget control.
- Ensure proper accounting procedures, adequate internal controls, documentation and completion of annual audit in a timely manner.
- Assist auditors when required.
- Participate in special projects requiring analytical and/or accounting knowledge.
- Document retention of financial records, including cleaning up of old records and maintaining of electronic storage.
- Enter, report, reconcile and file regular and miscellaneous offerings.
- Enter data and file accounts payable invoices.
- On appropriate weeks, prepare and enter payroll, distribute the pay stubs, file the reports, and enter the information into the accounting software.
- Prepare a report to the Senior Pastor and Executive Pastor of the weekend deposit and resulting cash balances.
- Set up new individuals and families on the database.
- Assign offering envelope numbers.
- Record and reconcile “flow-through” transactions.
- Prepare and present reports including (regular, ad hoc, monthly) financial budgets and financial narrative reports for the review of the Finance Committee and PORTICO’s executive team.
- Oversight to data entry of all known expenditures for the month.
- Verify that all regular month-end transactions are entered or accrued (utilities, payroll, pension and insurance payments, missions’ payments, depreciation, etc.).
- Review all accounts and explain unusual balances.
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts.
- Reconcile trial balances for each fund.
- Maintain general attendance records and reports.
- Prepare monthly financial reports to the Elder Board, pastors and departments.
- Updating PORTICO’s Financial Manual that covers all relevant policies and ensures legal compliance.
- Developing training manuals of all key financial processes covering PORTICO’s Accounting Services.
- Document retention of financial records, including cleaning up of old records and maintaining up-to-date electronic storage.
- Assist with year-end work to prepare for the annual audit.
- Work with the on-site auditor(s) as required.
- Prepare and mail income tax receipts.
- Work with the payroll service to prepare and file T-4s and related reports.
- Prepare T-4A, T-5s and similar annual tax forms.
- Assist as requested in the budget process.
- Payroll processing: Work alongside accounting team members to be able to provide a two-member processing of payroll and develop a training manual related to PORTICO’s payroll process.
- Administer benefits including insurances, pensions and RRSP’s, and paid leave.
- All payroll related functions including Payroll & Group Benefits & Retirement Benefits.
- Clergy Residence Deductions.
Oversight of other Accounting Services tasks
- Oversight of offering counting teams(s).
- Records for all Promissory notes and GIC investments.
- Semi-annual HST refund return.
- Financial reports for the pastoral staff.
- Safe Bank Deposits, Safe Combination and Safe Security.
- Preparation of annual budgets and Monitoring Reports.
- Online donations and Pushpay renewal.
- Online banking and credit card renewals.
- Expense Reports & Certify.
- Purchase process automation and control.
- Document Retention and Intranet – Accounting Folders
- Dashboard for Data Visualization.
- ACS Financial Suite to be maintained, and responsible for updating ACS and any other address/contact information updates.
- Accounting Service storage, document retention, electronic storage in compliance with PORTICO’s Document Retention Policy.
As a member of PORTICO’s central support staff, this role requires that you personally embrace, actively promote and support PORTICO’s mission, vision, core values and Ends within all expressions of the church community.
This position is often involved in sensitive situations and the individual may become aware of privileged information requiring sound judgment and discretion. Strict confidentiality must be 5 maintained when dealing with the elder board, pastoral or congregational related issues. A violation of confidentially is grounds for immediate dismissal.
LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-secondary education in Accounting. Preference is given to candidates with CA, CGA, CMA designation. Courses or certificates in financial management for nonprofit organizations, human resource management, and IT are considered an asset.
- 3-5 years of prior experience in financial services with similar type and size of organization. Desirable to have experience in a church or non-profit entity.
- 3-5 years of experience in financial management, in particular in the development, monitoring and reporting of the financial status of the organization and its various strategic and ministry initiatives.
- Experienced in handling accounting, finance, payroll, a range of administrative, clerical, annual audit and executive support related tasks.
- Possesses strong finance, bookkeeping, accounting skills with an understanding of fundamental accounting with the ability to review financial reports and maintain accuracy, integrity and conformance with policy/practices.
- Possesses a working knowledge of computers and proficiency in accounting and payroll software programs, including Microsoft Office applications, including advance Excel capabilities and ACS Financial Suite.
- Technology and/or Operational Knowledge (Caseware, Caseview, ACS Financial Suite, Certify, Managed Missions, Eventbrite Pro, EasyPay, HRHourly, ACS – People Suite, Facility Scheduler, Access ACS, Planning Center, Microsoft office, Pushpay, Paypal, etc.).
- Process Competency (Event Management, Plan to Protect Compliance, Document Retention and development of Standard Operating Procedure & Training Manuals related to your area of work).
- Strong financial management acumen; knowledge of accounting procedures and protocols, budget administration and financial forecasting, analysis and reporting.
- Ability to compile, prepare and interpret accounting/financial data, bank reconciliation and other financial performance information.
- Driver for Results.
- Supporting Cross Functional Roles & all Church Events.
The above-mentioned responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed by person employed in this role. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all assigned responsibilities, skills, efforts or working condition. PORTICO Community Church reserves the right to change, amend, delete or otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities and position titles as is deemed necessary to meet the vision, mission and purposes of PORTICO Community Church.
We thank all applicants, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources at email@example.com of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any material or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
To apply for this job, please submit your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.