Growth Group Study Guide
Re-Orient Your Values
POINT 1: Everyone is guided by a set of values
POINT 2: Not all values are equal in essence
POINT 3: Embrace values that align with missional living
Choose questions to get your group thinking and create openness:
- Begin your discussion with highlights from this Sunday’s sermon? What something that stood out to you? Share what you learned and how will it impact your life?
- What questions did this Sunday’s message raise? Share them in the group and offer your answers to each other’s questions.
Read 1 Timothy 4:7-10. Why does building a strong value system require such a hard work? Think of an area in your life where your values could use more clarity? What is a value that should increase in importance in your life?
Read Luke 12:13-20 and Mark 8:34-38. In what ways do we work to gain “the whole world? How does this verse speak to our value of material things? When we are challenged to consider our values, what compromises does Christ suggest people are making because they value the world too highly? How can you shift your value of worldly things toward something more lasting?
Read Ephesians 5:22-33. What is one thing you can change to help make family a higher value? Is there any competing value that you need to consider modifying in order to emphasize the value of family?
Read Ephesians 2:4-10 and Colossians 1:9-14. In what ways can you make Christ a higher value in your life? What might you need to eliminate from your life in order to make room to prioritize Christ in your life?
1. Ask God to help us prioritize the top 5 things we value the most.
2. Pray for our nation.
3. Pray for other nations who have high cases of COVID.
Take 10-15 minutes
to share in your group some of the insight you have learned from your recent Life Journal Readings. For reference, here are this week's passages.
Life Journal Readings
- August 12 (Day 225) - Jeremiah 13; Jeremiah 14; Jeremiah 15; John 15
- August 13 (Day 226) - Jeremiah 16; Jeremiah 17; Psalms 96; John 16
- August 14 (Day 227) - Jeremiah 18; Jeremiah 19; Jeremiah 20; Psalms 93; John 17
- August 15 (Day 228) - 2 Kings 24; Jeremiah 22; Psalms 112; John 18
- August 16 (Day 229) - Jeremiah 23; Jeremiah 24; Jeremiah 25; John 19
- August 17 (Day 230) - Jeremiah 26; Jeremiah 35; Jeremiah 36; John 20
- August 18 (Day 231) - Jeremiah 45; Jeremiah 46; Jeremiah 47; Psalms 105; John 21
- August 19 (Day 232) - Jeremiah 48; Jeremiah 49; Psalms 67; 1 John 1
- August 20 (Day 233) - Jeremiah 21; Jeremiah 27; Psalms 118; 1 John 2
- August 21 (Day 234) - Jeremiah 28; Jeremiah 29; Jeremiah 30; 1 John 3
- August 22 (Day 235) - Jeremiah 31; Jeremiah 32; 1 John 4
Lamentations 3:40 MSG